Friday, October 30, 2009

The Dark Side of Our Year

Tomorrow is All Hallow's Eve. At last the bewitching hour has come. And we also turn our clocks back one hour. It's the dark side of our year.

I always look forward this time of year. It's time to prepare for celebrations with family and friends. Early suppers in front of the fire with a glass of red wine. It's time for long, slow conversations and really looking into each other's eyes. November is our wedding anniversary month, my birthday and our son's birthday. Indeed it's a time to count our blessings.

And for the artist in me and you, here's a short quote I found in Simple Abundance by Sarah ban Breathnach - one of my very favorite authors. Sarah's chosen quote for October 31st is this:

To work magic is to weave the unseen forces into form; to soar beyond sight; to explore the uncharted realm of the hidden reality.

Starhawk

.

11 comments:

Marion said...

What a beautiful quote, Janelle. And I love the photo. I, too, love the 'dark side' of our year when the garden goes to sleep and the earth rests and prepares itself for the coming Spring. And we can pull out our warm sweaters and brightly colored scarves!! Great post. Blessings!

Diane Hoeptner said...

Magic and soaring is all good, but is candy involved? (: Ooh, commenting on an empty stomach probably not a good idea.

Joan Breckwoldt said...

Janelle, Happy Halloween to you too! I am SO looking forward to the time change, I don't like the dark mornings.
Joan

Anonymous said...

i don't usually like November but the way you have described it makes it sound wonderful. i love the set up and lighting in the photograph... paintable stuff:) r.

Betsy Brock said...

What a wonderful photo and quote! I, too, love this time of year. The coziness and warmth of being indoors! Sounds like along with a holiday to be thankful, you have some wonderful family celebrations, too!

Art with Liz said...

Beautiful words Janelle and hope you had a good Halloween and enjoy all your celebrations come November.

Catherine Jeffrey said...

I love summer and sailing and all of the activity that goes with it, but somehow, when the boat is put away and the sun disappears early, it feels like there is more time for quiet creative activities. I'm not sure which season I like the best.
Beautiful quote..I think you are working some magic with your paintings lately!
I also have a November birthday, so happy November Birthday to us!

Karen said...

Thanks. I needed to read that, because I have a difficult time with this time of year. Thanks for the better perspective! :)

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Marion, Your words are poetic, even in the comments box! I love it!

Hi Diane, You're too funny!

Hi Joan, Light in the morning is something to look forward to, yes!

Hi Rahina, Thanks, the first two photos were blurry, so I had to use the tripod. That did the trick!

Hi Betsy, This year we're having Thanksgiving too. Lots going on!

Hi Liz, Nice to hear from you, thanks!

HI Catherine, Thanks and Happy Birthday!

Hi Karen, I think you have a birthday in November too, so Happy Birthday!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

oooooh Scorpio. Nice post about the dark part of the year. Love the photo, too.

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Mary, Thanks for visiting my blog. Now I'm going to check yours out!