Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Distilling Down to the Essence


Beatitude
Oil on Linen
16x12
Sold

As I look back on all the paintings I have done over the years, I realize that I am painting with less detail.  Years ago I would get so wrapped up in the details.  And when a painting was finished, I was rarely happy with the result.  Now my goal is to capture the essence of what I am trying to say.  My paintings have become much more distilled.

No longer do I sit when painting.  I constantly stand in front of the easel.  This gives the painting focus and energy.  I also back up every so often to see just exactly where the painting is going.

These days, my paintings seem to come from somewhere in my subconscious.   




9 comments:

Jan Yates, SCA, Canada said...

this is so lush with gorgeous and varied edges-what a wonderful world your subconscious is sharing -so saturated with beautifully rendered shadow and light

Celeste Bergin said...

very dreamy---I feel I could step into it!

Anonymous said...

Janelle, You don’t know how much it warms my heart to hear this from you on today of all days! Your painting is lovely, and your thoughts of today express what I have also been feeling inside for a long time, but have not been able to express. Your words have helped me to focus on who I am an artist and where I should be heading.

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful subconscious you own Janelle;) it is interesting how you describe the changes in your painting approach and style as well as posture... i can relate to it especially the detail focus which i am still trying to move away from. beautiful work!

Caroline Simmill said...

Your soulful paintings are very beautiful Janelle, the peace that flows out is important.

Marion said...

I love your dreamy landscapes, Janelle. But my favorite of yours is "Illumination". It just speaks to me. We got a rare early Fall day today and it's awesome. It got down to 51 degrees last night and broke all previous records. Yea! Blessings!!

Cara said...

Beautiful -

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Jan, Thank you. I'm still not sure where it comes from :)

Hi Celeste, Thank you and I've been enjoying your latest figure work.

Hi Maggie, I can see a lot of the "distilled down to the essence" in your paintings. I look to you for inspiration as well.

Hi Rahina, Funny how standing can make such a difference. I'm wondering if you stand also when you make your beautiful portraits.

Hi Caroline, I appreciate your comment saying you feel peace flowing out. That's my goal.

Hi Marion, It's so nice feeling a break from the heat, isn't it? Blessings to you, my friend.

Hi Cara, Now I'm off to see what you're up to. Thank you.

Hena Tayeb said...

Oh my.. this is gorgeous.. your work is absolutely beautiful.