Friday, July 11, 2014

Summer Studio Painting


Gratitude
24x24 inches
Oil on Stretched Canvas
Some artists enjoy painting plein air.  I've done my share of painting outdoors, painting directly from nature.  But over time I come to realize that I'm more of a "memory painter".  I can observe the landscape in silence.  From there I record with my camera or sometimes simply from my own interpretation of memory.

Even if I paint from a photograph, the painting never looks like the photo.  For me the painting needs to come from somewhere inside.  Only then does my painting look truly authentic.  

7 comments:

Diane Hoeptner said...

Amazing: You can paint so much from memory, another beauty.

Pat O'Driscoll said...

Beautiful sky and reflection Janelle. Such peaceful paintings.

Marion said...

An amazingly beautiful painting, Janelle. It makes me feel relaxed just looking at it. Thanks for sharing your work. xo

Betsy Brock said...

Lovely!

Janelle Goodwin said...

Diane, Pat, Marion and Betsy, Thank you for your lovely comments. They mean a lot to me.

Jane said...

Very beautiful with something dreamy about it !

Janelle Goodwin said...

Thank you, Jane!