Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Filling the Lamps



This is my oil lamp collection.  I started collecting these lamps many years ago.  Some of them came from Williamsburg, Virginia while on vacation.  Others came from northern Minnesota at an antique dealer's shop.  And some were picked up at local flea markets.

The other day, I cleaned and filled them all with lamp oil.  We have lost our power so many times this summer due to big rain storms.  Now there is a flashlight next to the bed because sometimes the power goes out in the middle of the night.

For the rest of the summer the oil lamps will sit in the middle of the dining room table.  Just in case.  I secretly love these times when I get to pull them out, light them and just bask in their glow.

9 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

Janelle, they are just gorgeous! I can tell they have just been cleaned...so sparkly with their wicks lit. So lovely!

THEARTBRUSH said...

I have 2or3 in a closet just in case.

Marion said...

They're so beautiful, Janelle. I love candle and lamp light. We use ours when the hurricanes hit the Gulf of Mexico and take our electricity. Thankfully, it's been a mild hurricane season this year. May it continue to be!! xo Blessings!

Celeste Bergin said...

Oh my, they look so beautiful! Dave and I inherited a couple of these from his Mom. They are very special reminders of a simpler time! I love the shape of these..wonderful collection and it is very cool to see then all lit!

Anonymous said...

These are fantastic! They look so warm and inviting. I collect old tin toys and the odd bear and doll....it's always a joy to get them out, but now we live in a smaller cottage, space is limited.

Caroline Simmill said...

Beautiful lamps Janelle, your photo captures them lit up so well too. Hope those rain storms pass soon, we are having a great deal of rain here too, last night the rain was incredibly loud during the night and woke me up!

Cara said...

What a beautiful photo - and what a beautiful things to surround yourself with.

A Lady's Life said...

you are so smart. I love oil lamps.
In my house I find the electric lamps burn quickly.They don't make em like they used to and charge through the nose.The only good lamps are the florescent ones.
I wouldn't be surprised if society went backwards instead of forwards in the future but these utility companies will find a reason to charge you anyway. lol

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Betsy, They look so much better when they're clean:)

Hi Peter, They come in handy, don't they? Much better than flashlights.

Hi Marion, Thank goodness that it's been a mild hurricane season for you. Blessings!

Hi Celeste, Yes, they are reminders of a simpler time. So nostalgic.

Hi Lady's Life, You made me laugh!

HI Maggie, Sigh, I love the old toys too. Maybe you could show us yours sometime.

Hi Caroline, I hope the stormy weather is over for you too (although it is kind of romantic).

Hi Cara, It's so good to hear from you.