Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Joy in Common Hours


Joy in Common Hours
12x16

This painting painted itself.  I felt like I was along for the ride to see what would happen next.  All I had to do was show up at the easel.  This happens to me occasionally when painting.  Usually it takes a lot more thought, but not this time.  Maybe it had to do with being in the zone.

When my days are uninterrupted, the work flows seamlessly.  Or maybe it has to do with the quality of light at this time of year.  The sunshine streams into my studio now.  There is a promise of Spring.

 It is the first mild day of March.
Each minute sweeter than before...
There is a blessing in the air...

-William Wordsworth

11 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

Oooh...I think this is my new favorite! I love the blues and greens in it! Just lovely, Janelle!

Art Matters said...

The best paintings do seem to paint themselves - maybe when we are in control we try too hard.
Once in the zone and relaxed, good things happen.
Lovely painting...

Celeste Bergin said...

you are making Illinois look prettier than I remember it! lol---seriously, this painting ("that painted itself") did a wonderful job of painting itself!

Anonymous said...

the zone...a wonderful place and such a beautiful work of art Janelle.

Caroline Peña Bray said...

Wow! I swear this painting is actually radiating heat from the screen! It's amazingly warm, so welcoming...and just stunning. Great stuff Janelle!

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Betsy, Thank you! I'm thinking of making asparagus wrapped bacon tonight. Yum!

Hi Carol, So true about being in the zone and relaxed, yes!

Hi Celeste, I think lots of my paintings are part observation, part imagination, it's true :)

Hi Rahina, If only we artists could be in the zone all the time (sigh).

Hi Caroline, So glad you like it and thank you.

Diane Hoeptner said...

Wow!! Yes! You are on a roll with this-- I just love the blues and greens here, Janelle. The composition and soft brushwork are very wonderful too.

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Diane, Thank you so much. That means a lot to me.

Jeannette StG said...

Love the mood in your paintings, Janelle!
As a follow up on Chinese traffic: there are 2 basic rules: 1. stop in front of a red light and 2. call the police when you're in an accident.
The first time you try to cross a street-is heart stopping!
But after a week you can spot the tourists- they're the only ones waiting for the green light:)

Anonymous said...

it is a stunning piece Janelle. It is interesting how often i have used the phrase 'in the zone' (not necessarily for myself) and your thoughts suggest that it is an elusive state.,, not easily put into words.

Polly Jones said...

Beautiful painting! Lovely light and radiance.