Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Evening



Evening
8x10
Oil on Linen

This painting isn't dry and still needs a coat of Liquin and final coat of Gamvar varnish. But I wanted to show you what I've been up to. It's one of three small paintings done in a different color palette this time. For the sky I used titanium white with indianthrone blue, cobalt violet and alizarin crimson. It had to use all my willpower not to reach for the pink brown.

Using a new color palette is like going to a new place. It takes a while to figure out just how things work with new temperatures and values. This painting will also look different when it dries and the Liquin and Gamvar are applied, so I'll be showing this painting again.

Next time, I think I'll be painting some yellow-orange scenes. I'm in the mood for some sunny, warm weather!


5 comments:

Karen said...

you and me both, Janelle, about being in the mood for some orangey warmth!
Made me laugh what you wrote about having to put away the pink-brown...it's so hard to switch up colors, but can be so enlightening too.
But the pink browns are gorgeous too! :)

Jill Berry said...

Your earthy tones are balanced by the purple-y sky... their
meeting makes for a dramatic horizon.
Nice soft touch.

Celeste Bergin said...

Janelle--I admire you--you're stretching beyond what you've had success with and not "relying" on a crutch. My painter friend Elio Camacho has a signature color (it's aqua)..but he paints everything in a myriad of colors and relies on aqua about 25% of the time (or so it seems). It's drama and contrast that we seek! I love this new painting. Bravo on being so willing to RISK. :)

loriann signori said...

Nice change in color palette. I see that tonalist glow of the edges of the trees. Maybe add a touch of neutral purple violet in the land to imply the refraction of light. Love your tonalist works!

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Karen, I find myself reaching for some warmer colors because I'm not used to working in cools anymore. Eeeeeek. I need to see what you did while you were in Sedona now!

Hi Jill, This one was a struggle and I don't think it's done. But maybe I need to put it away for a while. Thanks!

Hi Celeste, Need to check out your friend's work for that aqua (interesting color!). As artists, we're always taking risks, aren't we? I see you switching it up all the time and find it amazing!

Hi Loriann, Hmmm, I agree with you on the purple. I was just experimenting with an alizarin crimson glaze over the lower sky, which came up purple! I'll re-post it when it's finally done. But this one just keeps changing.